Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans
Español    About Us    Contact Us    Careers   

When the Other Parent Lives Out-of-State


Children need financial and emotional support from both parents, even when a parent lives in a different state or country. Native American Indian Tribes throughout the United States have also established Child Support agencies that are recognized as official Child Support agencies, the same as other States and Countries. Child support agencies in other states and tribes work together with Idaho Child Support to provide services for children. 
Getting Another State’s Help
Idaho Child Support Services determines when another state or tribal agency’s help is needed. We will notify you if another state or tribal Child Support agency needs you to complete forms or provide information. You do not need to communicate directly with the other state or tribal Child Support agency — we will take care of that for you. If you have questions, contact Child Support Services at 1-800-356-9868.
Once Idaho Child Support Services gathers the information, we send it to the other state or tribal Child Support agency and they will open a case, as well. 
Until you begin receiving child support payments, we periodically will contact the other state or tribal Child Support agency to check the status of your case.
Following Another State’s Laws and Policies
If the other parent lives or works in another state or on an Indian Reservation that state’s laws or tribal laws must be followed. Caseworkers in that state or tribe know and understand the laws and policies of their state or tribe. They also have better access to information, such as if the other parent changes jobs, receives worker’s compensation, or even wins the lottery.
Involving Another State May Take More Time
Interstate cases often take more time than cases involving parents who both live in Idaho. When an out-of-state parent makes a payment, the payment is sent to the other state or tribal Child Support agency, then forwarded to Idaho Child Support Services. We record the payment and send it to you. This process allows both agencies to keep accurate payment records.
Fees for Services
Other states or tribes may charge for services. If they do, the fees are paid from money collected from the other parent before the checks are sent to Idaho Child Support Services.
How You Can Help
Please provide complete and accurate information. Let Idaho Child Support Services know if you have any information that may be helpful, such as where the other parent lives or works. We will forward the information to the other state or tribe.
How to Find Out What is Happening on Your Case
Idaho Child Support Services stays in close contact with other state or tribal Child Support agencies. If you have any questions or information, contact Idaho Child Support Customer Service at 1 (800) 356-9868. If Customer Service does not have all the information you request, we will contact the other state or tribe and call you back with the requested information.

Contact Child Support Services:

Mail your Child Support payments:

Toll free: 1-800-356-9868
Boise area: 334-2479 
Fax: (855) 349-2408
e-mail Child Support Services

Idaho Child Support Receipting Services
P.O. Box 70008
Boise, Idaho  83707-0108