Immunizing our children is a great way to keep them happy and healthy. To attend a licensed childcare facility in Idaho, a child must receive the required immunizations outlined below no later than the age-deadline specified. This means a child has received all of the doses of each vaccine appropriate for the child's age.
Parents/guardians must present their child’s immunization record to the childcare provider within 14 days of the child’s initial attendance.
1. DTaP: The 5th dose is not necessary if the 4th dose was administered at age 4 years or older.
2. Polio: The 4th dose is not necessary if the 3rd dose was administered at age 4 years or older and at least 6 months after previous dose.
3. HIB: Generally not recommended for children aged 5 years or older.
4. Pneumococcal: Generally not recommended for children aged 5 years or older. Children aged 14 through 59 months who received a completed 4-dose or other age-appropriate series of PCV7, must also receive a supplemental dose of PCV13.
5. Rotavirus: Vaccination should not be initiated for infants aged 15 weeks 0 days or older. The maximum age for the final dose is 8 months.
Idaho law allows a parent/guardian to claim an exemption from immunization requirements for their child for medical, religious, or personal reasons. All exemptions must be documented on the official State of Idaho form provided by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Immunization Program. A medical exemption requires the signature of a licensed physician and certification that the child has a medical condition which prevents him or her from receiving required vaccinations. The law does not allow parents/guardians to claim an exemption because the shot record is lost or incomplete, or because it is too much trouble to contact the physician or clinic and obtain a copy. Childcare facilities should maintain an up-to-date list of children with exemptions so they can be excluded quickly if an outbreak occurs.
Section 39-1118, Idaho Code: Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Rules, IDAPA 16, Title 02, Chapter 11 “Immunization Requirements for Children Attending Licensed Daycare Facilities in Idaho.”
IRIS is Idaho’s Immunization Reminder Information System. It is a statewide system that houses immunization information for the State of Idaho. Licensed childcare providers that handle health records can enroll in IRIS to retrieve and print official copies of children's immunization records, saving staff time otherwise spent following up with parents. If you don’t already have access to IRIS, please request an IRIS account
online. If you need to have your IRIS password reset, request an IRIS password reset
online. IRIS requests will not be processed over the phone.
» Basic IRIS Guide for Childcare Users